- Home page
- How are my account statistics calculated on my GLD account?
How are my account statistics calculated on my GLD account?
With a GLD-denominated account, your account balance, equity, margin and free margin will all be measured in GLD, as will your profits/losses, swap charges and commissions. With your trading statistics, 1 GLD may be calculated as one thousandth (0.001) of the spot rate of gold to the US dollar (XAUUSD). For deposits and withdrawals, conversions will be made at the current rates at Alpari, which are updated daily and may be found in myAlpari.
Example: Calculating Required Margin in GLD
Let’s say you would like to open the following position:
- Trading Instrument: EURUSD
- Base Currency: EUR
- Account Denomination: GLD
- Transaction Volume: 100,000 EUR (1 lot)
- Leverage: 1:500
- EURUSD Rate When Position Opened: 1.30815
- XAUUSD Rate When Position Opened: 1697.48
When calculating margin requirements in GLD, remember that 1 unit of GLD is equal to one thousandth the spot rate of gold (XAUUSD).
Here’s the math:
With 500:1 leverage, you will need the equivalent of 200 EUR to open the position (100,000 / 500 = 200). Next you will need to convert this amount into USD: 200 × 1.30815 = 261.63 USD.
Finally, we will convert to GLD. Since XAUUSD is at 1,697.48, and 1 GLD = 0.001 XAUUSD, we can calculate the GLD to USD conversion rate as 1.69748 (0.001 × 1,697.48 = 1.69748). Now convert from USD to GLD: 261.63 / 1.69748 = 154.13 GLD. You will need 154.13 GLD to open the position.
Did you find the information you were looking for?
More Frequently Asked Questions about Trading terms:
- When can I trade Forex?
- How do you calculate the value of one pip?
- Will my demo accounts expire?
- I have an account denominated in USD. Can I change the denomination?
- Why wasn't my order triggered? The Low was 2 pips below the order level.
- What is "GLD"? How can I make a deposit in GLD?
- How are my account statistics calculated on my GLD-denominated account?
- Can I lower my leverage?
- How can I calculate my profits or losses on a position?
- What happens when I leave a position open overnight?
- What is a "spike"?
- What is a "price gap"?
- Why did my broker close my position without my consent?
- How do I calculate the minimum amount required to open a position (margin)?
- How do I calculate the margin required on hedged positions?
- How do you calculate margin with floating leverage based on the total notional value of open positions?
- What is ECN?
- How is commission on pro.ecn.mt4 and ecn.mt5 accounts calculated?
- What are the risks of trading during periods of low liquidity?