Why does the order close automatically when I open a locked position on an instrument in MT5?
In MetaTrader 5 there are two types of order calculation available:
Netting calculation in which there can only be one open position per instrument at any one time:
- If there is already an open trading position for the instrument, when an additional position is opened in the same direction, the size of the original position increases.
- Where additional trades are opened for the same instrument but in the opposite direction, either a reduction in the size of the current position takes place, it closes (if the subsequent trade volume is equal to the size of the current open position), or the direction of the trade changes (where the size of the opposite trade is larger than the current open position).
- 2 Hedging calculation allows for several trading positions (including in several directions) per trading instrument to be open.
If an account is opened with Netting calculation, the trader is not able to have locked positions. Due to this, when a trade for an instrument is opened in the opposite direction, the previous trade closes. If you do not need this type of account, you should select to use hedging in trades when opening an account. This option is only available for accounts which are opened via the MetaTrader 5 platform. It will soon be available in myAlpari.
Did you find the information you were looking for?
More Frequently Asked Questions about Trading Platforms:
- What are the IP addresses for demo, live and contest accounts?
- How do I change my MetaTrader 4 / MetaTrader 5 password?
- How do I trace an IP address?
- Why do I see "No Connection" when I try to connect to MetaTrader 4 / MetaTrader 5?
- Why do I keep seeing the message "Invalid account" in MetaTrader 4 / MetaTrader 5?
- Why do I see the message "Trade context is busy" when I try to make a MetaTrader transaction?
- What time is displayed in MetaTrader?
- What is a trailing stop? Will it be triggered if I am offline?
- What should I do if I forget the password to my demo account?
- What can I find in my MT4 trading report?
- What can I find in my MT5 trading report?
- Why do I get the "Trade is disabled" message when I try to place or change a MetaTrader order?
- Why can't I find certain trading instruments in the "Market Watch" window?
- How can I download quote histories in MetaTrader?
- Why did I lose the information in my "Account History"?
- Why did a bar/candle disappear from my chart?
- BinaryTrader gives me 3 choices for how much I can invest in a trade. Can I enter a different amount?
- Can I change the "Payout" or "Protection Level" of a binary option manually?
- According to what time does the BinaryTrader platform operate?
- Which operating systems support the BinaryTrader mobile application?
- Is the functionality of the BinaryTrader platform preserved in the mobile application?
- How can I install MetaTrader on Mac OS?
- Why does the order close automatically when I open a locked position on an instrument in MT5?